How to Create the Perfect Password
Did you know that every second, 18 adults become a victim of cyber-crime, worldwide? Let’s hope your employees don’t make your business part of this statistic.
Juggling online accounts is an integral part for many business owners, from social media and banking to email and e commerce. When it comes to creating secure passwords for each of those accounts—especially ones that are easy to remember—it can seem like a daunting task.
If your business requires you to store, access, or transfer sensitive data, generating weak passwords could have disastrous consequences, potentially leaving your company open to hackers or fraud.
You can’t run a business these days without being vigilant about your online security. While the majority of people realize the importance of cyber-security, many still take a casual approach to selecting passwords.
By choosing and managing strong passwords, you will be better equipped to protect personal and client information, financial records, intellectual property, and other sensitive data. Here is how to create the perfect password—it isn’t as hard as you might think.
• Choose longer passwords – If you are hoping to stop would-be identity thieves from cracking your password, longer is definitely better. The most effective passwords range anywhere from 8 to 12 characters in length.
• Avoid using obvious passwords – Believe it or not, with the abundance of password options available, many people still use “Password” and “123456.” If online security is a high up on your list of priorities, don’t make it easy for hackers to access your accounts by using common passwords.
• Generate different passwords for each of your accounts – Reusing passwords is something many of us have done at one time or another. As frustrating as it can be to memorize each and every password, however, one breach is all that it would take to compromise all of your accounts.
• Use a password manager – One of the easiest ways to keep track of all those passwords is to use an online password management option. These convenient tools are easy to set up and useful in helping you manage all your passwords.
• Change your passwords frequently – Computer hacking algorithms are constantly evolving. So it is critical to get in the habit of changing your passwords every few months.
• Use a password checker – So, you have followed all the necessary steps and created the perfect, intruder-proof password, right? Before you start logging in with your new password, you can verify the strength of it by using a password checker.
Even the strongest password is no guarantee against every single online threat. By employing the above tips, you will go a long way in protecting you and your business’s sensitive data.
Let Safe Harbour, create, implement, and maintain a customized security solution for all your business needs.
For more information about our IT services, contact us today!